Your home is one of the biggest investments of your life, and it’s important to make time to protect and keep it safe for your family. As the seasons change there are things you can do now (in milder temperatures) to prepare and maintain your property for the colder winter months.
When the days begin to grow shorter and the calendar turns to October it’s a good time to prepare for the cold season ahead. It’s never too early to contemplate winterizing your home and Chorey & Associates Realty, Ltd. has provided a handy checklist to help you protect your Suffolk, VA, real estate.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure indoor safety.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned (and repaired as needed).
- Change filter and have your heat system serviced while the weather is still mild.
- Clean gutters and downspouts after the leaves have fallen.
- Check and adjust the drainage areas around your home to prevent excess water from making its way into the house.
- Check your roof for loose, damaged, curled, and missing shingles. Repair as needed.
- Seal your driveway and concrete surfaces to preserve them.
- Repair and paint any exposed wood surfaces; check for areas of loose or cracked caulking.
- Repair or replace leaky seals around windows and doors.
- Drain outside faucets and sprinklers and put your hose away before freezing temps set in.
- Prepare and properly store your mower and other outdoor lawn equipment for the winter.
- If applicable, shut down your pool for the season. Cover and/or store all patio furniture.
- Trim trees around your home to protect the structure and to prevent critters from using them as an entryway into your warm home during the cold months.
By using this handy checklist and your common sense, you will be well prepared for the winter to come. Be safe and be prepared!