Ready to BUY or SELL a HOME this winter?
A welcoming first impression is essential when marketing your home to potential buyers, no matter what season. Winter can be a more challenging time to sell a house, but with some attention to details, you can be certain to set the stage for an inviting experience. Likewise, if you are looking to buy during the winter season, take note of some things to watch for if you are touring properties in the colder months.
- Make sure your outside spaces are neat and well-maintained. Be sure tree limbs are not in need of trimming or removal. Clear any debris from flower beds and freshen up the mulch.
- Are the gutters cleared and in good shape? Make any repairs necessary!
- Touch up any paint, repair any damaged wood or siding, and be sure the roof is in good shape.
- As the winter days are shorter, some potential buyers may visit during darker hours. Are your exterior lights in good working order and properly illuminating walkways and entryways?
- In the event of snow or icy weather, be sure to clear walkways and steps so visitors can easily access the property.
- Keep the temperature comfortable and cozy. Even if you keep the inside temps slightly cool during the winter, be sure to bump it up when you know potential buyers are coming.
- Has your heating/cooling system been professionally serviced/maintained? Keep records handy.
- Are there drafty areas in the house? Pay attention to weather strips around doors and windows. Repair or replace in areas that need it and be sure all windows and doors open/close properly.
- Winter is a great time to show off your fireplace if the property has one. Be sure to have it professionally maintained prior to using and keep a record of the date of service.
Additional Tips for Preparing to Show your Property:
- Declutter is the magic word! This applies to the exterior and interior spaces of your property. Too many personal items and decorations are a distraction to potential buyers. While it is OK to have a wreath on the door and a few festive touches throughout the home, this is not the time to pull out all your lighted lawn ornaments or fill every corner of your house with “stuff”. If needed, put some of it in storage to help reduce the clutter.
If you are looking to make a move this winter, the experienced professionals at Chorey & Associates Realty, Ltd. are here for you! We are the Suffolk, VA, real estate specialists and we serve all of Hampton Roads, VA, and Northeastern North Carolina. Contact us today! (757) 539-7451.